About the Position:
The Fraunhofer Center for Sustainable Energy Systems (CSE) is looking for a Software Engineer in its Grid Integration Group to support development, integration, and testing of distributed energy resource systems, smart grid technologies, energy management algorithms, and devices. We seek an individual with a diverse software engineering toolset and experience coding in Python who has the ability to take on complex, multi-dimensional projects and quickly learn new concepts and tools. This is an opportunity to work with one of the world’s leading research organizations to address critical challenges related to the deployment of sustainable energy technologies. You will be a key part of a dynamic team that shares a commitment to engineering excellence, combined with an excitement about sustainable energy technology.
· Develop software (embedded and cloud-based) which enables research on distributed energy resources (e.g., solar generation, renewables, energy storage, building technologies, IoT sensors, etc) and smart grid technologies
· Support laboratory, field, and analytical evaluations of distributed energy systems and power systems
· Create and manage software documentation and version control
· Develop software and controls for integration of Solar + Storage
· Support senior researchers in developing and implementing energy management, optimization, and control algorithms
· Work with other members of technical staff to develop proposals and cultivate funding opportunities in the area of distributed energy systems and grid modernization
· B.S. or M.S. with 3 to 8 years of post-graduate experience and relevant education in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, applied mathematics, or relevant research in other engineering or science field.
· Proficient in and considerable experience with Python; experience with other languages (e.g., C/C++, Java, etc)
· Experience working in a Linux operating environment
· Experience working with embedded systems, “internet of things” devices, sensors, drones, robotics, microcomputers such as Raspberry Pi, or similar.
· Experience developing and maintaining software as both a primary developer and as a member of a larger team
· Demonstrated experience with several of the following:
o Agent development on the VOLTTRON platform
o Embedded Systems
o Energy Management algorithms
o User Interfaces
o Mobile App development
o Database applications such as MonetDB, MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL.
o RESTful APIs and/or Web Socket APIs
o Industrial communication protocols used in distributed energy systems and power systems such as Modbus, IEC61850, DNP3, etc.
o Version control tools, such as Git
· Knowledge of electronics, hands-on practical engineering, and/or experience working in a lab environment a plus
· Strong interpersonal communication skills (oral and written).
· Effectively collaborates in a team environment
Fraunhofer USA, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer of Individuals with disabilities, protected veterans and is a federal contractor.
About Fraunhofer CSE:
The Fraunhofer Center for Sustainable Energy Systems (CSE) in Boston, MA is a leading applied contract research and development laboratory supporting our society with the transition to a sustainable energy future. We invent and develop technologies that remove barriers to the large-scale commercialization of sustainable energy technologies. Fraunhofer CSE is part of Fraunhofer USA, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit contract R&D organization, affiliated with Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Europe’s largest contract R&D group. Our interdisciplinary R&D team is dedicated to serving the applied research needs of the sustainable energy industry, helping established industry players and startup companies alike develop clean energy technologies from the laboratory to the production line. The Center has active development projects in the areas of energy efficient buildings, photovoltaic technologies, and grid impact of renewable energy technologies.